Saturday, April 18, 2015

P is for the Perkiomen block

This block you won't see in any usual quilting book. It is a style of quilt that was made in the Perkiomen valley near the end of the 19th century.  I saw on a blog an antique quilt made in this pattern and was inspired.

It is made with small blocks and triangles, to make a 4 by 4 square of light and dark values.


On the left, experimenting with a nine patch, and on the right, the Perkiomen square.  I decided the classic 4 by 4 square was best.  Once you make a number of squares, then you can put them together in interesting ways.


This was my first try at it.  All in modern fabrics. but it does give the same impression of light and dark pathways as the antique quilt.

This quilt is also unfinished, and in my sewing room somewhere.  Hmm I am detecting a theme here.

Viridian

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails