Friday, April 3, 2015

C is for the Churn Dash block

Onwards to the letter C!

Block names for specific quilt patterns are a more recent invention.  According to my sources, we do not know how 19th century women referred to their patterns.  As patterns began to be published, and sold, then names began to be attached to them.

Today's pattern is know as both Churn Dash, and Hole in the Barn Door.


(Sorry for the poor scan)

The second name makes more sense to me!  This one is a classic and has been around for a long time.  Now in looking ahead I see I have no blocks for D and E, so it's off to the quilt block databases, and then off to the sewing room to make up some new blocks for this A to Z challenge!

Viridian
    Pin It

3 comments:

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
My grandmother and all the ladies that lived in her village were avid quilters. They made some of the prettiest quilts. They got together and through sharing all of the latest news and sewing together, a quilt pattern would evolve.
Thank you for this article. It brought back memories.
Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge 2015
Shalom,
Patricia at Everything Must Change

Alleigh said...

I grew up quilting with my grandmother and it's something I'd love to get back into. I think it's more than a craft it's making something for the family's comfort and the time spent with family and friends. I'll be back for more inspiration!

Anonymous said...

According to Wikipedia, the dash is another name for the staff which you use to churn the butter with. Still not as clear as the barn door...

Related Posts with Thumbnails