Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nearly Insane: block 56

I am having trouble getting the camera to interface with my new laptop, so this block was scanned.
In a way I wish these blocks had names, like the Dear Jane blocks.  They might be easier to keep straight.


Friday, September 23, 2011

G-8: Indianapolis

In pink, for my daughter's quilt.  I paper-pieced the long center sections.  I appliqued the pie-slices.  A little uneven, but I'll take it.
This will not be in the center, as in the original quilt.  I have already picked another block, but done in the green from Brenda' fabric line, for the center.

I am still moving ahead on my two main projects, my Jane quilts and Nearly Insane.  I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel on my Christmas Jane quilt.  It's to the point where I must think about which colors I plan to use for the remaining blocks, if I want to have the Trip around the world setting as in the original quilt.  That is, a certain number of pink or brown blocks, red blocks, etc.  Until now I have been picking whatever repro fabric speaks to me, concentrating on reds and greens, but some of the other colors too.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Next Nearly Insane Block

I have added lines to the paper piecing pattern, so that I can actually paper piece this.  I avoid set in corners and Y-seams as much as possible.  Again, I am sticking close to the colors in the original quilt.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Never again: F-9 Autumn Aster

Technically, and in terms of personal frustration, the most difficult block so far.

It would have been much worse if I hadn't followed Anina's technique of preparing the white background.  Still, reverse applique in the corners was a pain and they didn't come out even.  And then EIGHT melons, with narrow points.  Argh.  The pink fabric here is more tightly woven than most, and makes pulling the needle through several layers very difficult indeed.  It's a beautiful fabric, but I will not be making this block again for my daughter's quilt.


Wednesday, September 14, 2011

D-2 Mouse in a mirror

With the addition of lines making many small white triangles I was able to avoid hand piecing this one!


Friday, September 9, 2011

I-6 Viewer's Choice

Continuing on, as I can...
I cut the center piece as one piece to feature this particular fabric.  Not too hard to applique, though of course the corners of the melons are still a challenge.


Monday, September 5, 2011

F-11, On Target, Done

And appliquing the little white quarter circles was not that bad.

Retro-fabulous blog, you were right.
I am now at 148 blocks, 47 triangles, 1 corner, 4545 pieces.  though looking at my guide (my Dear Jane bingo sheet, with fabric swatches glued to it), I think I've done a few more.


Thursday, September 1, 2011

F-11 On Target, step one

The corners of this block, F-11, as Jane Stickle pieced them, are very complicated.  I just appliqued on the green pieces.
Now: if I am matching Jane I would put white fabric behind the block, and cut away the green fabric in a similar shape to reveal the white (reverse applique).  Complicated and fussy.  I can stop here, but I think I will just applique on the white pieces.  And once you do one, you have to do all four.


Related Posts with Thumbnails