Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Starlight geese progress

 Good day and welcome to my blog.  It's a lovely summer day in the American Midwest.

I was fortunate to spend some time in my sewing area today to finish up the last of my planned 35 Starlight geese blocks.  I wrote about the beginnings of the project in this post, which has background info on the pattern.  I am using real feedsack fabrics and a constant background fabric of Kona Snow.  This pattern takes a lot of background fabric!

Anyhow, here are all my blocks, laid out on my design floor:


Sorry about the keystoning there.  The pattern is a variation of a wild goose chase.  But let's add some 2 inch wide (finished) sashing.


Getting ready to sew.  The block on the top is a little small on one side so it's pulled out for special treatment.

First set with sashing, laid out to see how it looks:


Yes, sometimes points get chopped off, no matter how careful you are with measuring and keeping a steady 1/4 inch seam. (look at blue triangle at lower right; triangle at uppermost right).


Blocks finish at 10 inches square.  Projected size is 60 by 84 inches, plus maybe borders, so a throw size.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday wait loss, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

12 comments:

Quiltpiecer said...

This is so pretty, especially with the feedsack fabrics. Can't wait to see the finished top. And yes, my points get cut off too and now I don't feel so bad when mine are not perfect. Thank you for sharing the pattern and for the inspiration.

Vicki in MN said...

What a beautiful scrappy quilt!

Yvonne said...

This is just beautiful! I too have experinenced lost points but I never worry about it.

Debbie said...

Amazing! Love the design of the blocks and your addition of sashing makes it even better. We all have gone through lost points ( or stretched seam allowances to fit). The age old struggle of perfecting our quarter inch seam. Ugh. Love it anyway.

PaintedThread said...

These geese are terrific! It's a beautiful project.

Carolyn said...

Those feedback fabrics are fabulous!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous scrappy geese. Love them.

Rose Marie said...

beautiful!

quiltingbydawn said...

Nice block and I love the scrappy feeling of it. Well done.

Bonnie said...

Never mind the cut off points the overall look is fabulous. I really like it.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such lovely blocks! I enjoy seeing the feedsack pieces, as I've collected feedsacks for years. This is a great pattern for them.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such dynamic blocks! It is amazing how much background goes into a project of that size!

Related Posts with Thumbnails