Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Dutchman's Puzzle finish and trees pattern start

 It's Wednesday and I almost forgot it's my blogging day!

A stormy rainy day, but we need the rain for the grass and the crops.

First, a finish:  I bound my big (74 inches by 92 inches) Dutchman's puzzle quilt.  If you use scraps and stash for the 'geese' and the 'sky' pieces, you will use up a lot of fabric:


Too big to get it all in, laying on my design floor.  A close up is below, showing some vintage fabric.


Sashing,  borders and binding are new solid batik fabric.  Quilted very nicely by a local long arm quilter.  I am glad this is done.   It might go to my son, whose quilt I made him is quite worn out.

And now on to something new.  I previously blogged about my Winter Solstice finish.  I rarely buy patterns but I did for this - a quilt pattern my mom fell in love with.  She loves the finished quilt too.

I thought, why not use the 'tree' pattern in this project, and combine it with the feedsack fabric I love so much?  Feedsack patterns that, when cut into smaller pieces, do not show the beauty of the pattern?  The Winter solstice pattern has larger trees  So let's try it.


Here is my first set of trees.  Below, 4 more I made today.


Using some favorite fabrics.  I plan on adding narrow white sashing between the blocks, and perhaps offsetting them a bit.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday wait loss, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

9 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Congratulations on finishing your Dutchman's Puzzle quilt. That is one of my favorite patterns, and your turned out beautifully!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

love the scrappy goodness of your dutchman's puzzle! your tress are going to be sew pretty!

Bonnie said...

Your feed sack trees look great. What size is the finished block? I'm guessing a rectangle rather than a square. Hope you get a lot more done this weekend.

viridian said...

Yes the feedsack tree blocks are a rectangle.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Beautiful scrappy Dutchman's Puzzle. Cute tree blocks.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love that Dutchman's Puzzle!!!
and your trees are great!! That will be a fun one!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely Dutchman's Puzzle finish, and a great start on some very cute feedsack trees!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your Dutchmen's puzzle finish is WONDERFUL! What a ton of geese!!!! I like your feedback trees too. What a great idea you had!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So sad that I can't see all of your quilt as what I can see is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing it on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Related Posts with Thumbnails