Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Triple star is a top

I started the triple star project in February 2020, and how long ago it seems.

The pattern is by Kim Brackett in her book Scrap basket Beauties.  I last blogged about it in late February - I had a number of blocks laid out on the floor.

Then COVID-19 hit and I was working my (mostly) mindless piecing of Film at Five.  I needed my 'design floor' to be available.  So I cut sashing from my background fabric and started assembly.  And problems ensued.

16 blocks, sewn together in rows of 4, and then join the rows together - this should work right?  Two rows did but one row was too short by 3/8 inch, so I sewed on a coping strip.  The last row was too long by 3/8 of an inch and I didn't feel like ripping out the long seam and adjusting the sashing.  So I sewed the rows together, adding plain borders, and cut the points off:


Note the bottom 'points'.  Well it is relatively minor but I am still disappointed.  The whole top looks like this:


I had purchased special fabric for an outer border, and I was going to have a local long arm quilter quilt it for me.  Now I am disappointed in the outcome and have set it aside.  Maybe later I will quilt it on my own sewing machine, in straight lines.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

10 comments:

Sue SA said...

These are such pretty blocks, concentrate on the ones that are perfect and don't worry about the one black sheep!

Julierose said...

Ohmygosh, don't let just one block derail this lovely quilt...it happens to us all...after it's quilted it won't even show...
~ ~ ~ ~ waving from afar julierose

Anonymous said...

Your top is gorgeous! You are seeing the imperfections and feeling frustrated as the quilt maker- something we all do. But I don’t even notice!

Preeti said...

I am a huge fan of straight line quilting and cannot recommend it enough. The triple star blocks are beautiful and remind me of dainty bed and breakfast tucked in the hills or a visit to the grandma's. I know you are disappointed about the clipped points but that does not take away from its beauty :-)

Susan said...

Wow! Isn't that an interesting block!

Rebecca Grace said...

I love this quilt and I do agree with others who are telling you that it's amazing and it deserves to be beautifully quilted and the imperfections are minor... But I also completely relate to how you're feeling about those chopped off points. So, GOOD that you're setting it aside for now. Maybe when you come back to it, you will either decide that those things don't bother you anymore, or maybe you'll decide they still DO bother you, enough to unpick that part and save your points from that hungry seam! Either way, I hope it does get finished because your star top is fabulous and it deserves to be a finished quilt! So many different possibilities for the quilting! :-)

Ellie said...

Love this quilt. Don’t be discouraged by a couple of missing points. No one will notice whe it’s done and it will be beautiful!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Ah, you are too hard on yourself and your quilt! It is a beaut!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

THose are such pretty blocks - I think they look great and the boo boos tell a story of a crazy time in our lives

For the love of geese said...

Oh that is so frustrating to stitch your points away. This morning I noticed I had done the same on a quilt as I was finishing up the quilting. Love your fabrics here. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails