Thursday, April 2, 2020

Piecing in the time of corona virus

Well I am back to this blog after a month away.  I had been working on my previous project - triple stars by Kim Brackett.

Then March happened, specifically mid-March to now.  My University suspended in person classes, then the state went to stay at home orders.  You would think that meant more time for piecing and quilting, right?  No, three grown children to supervise, one special needs.  And I couldn't settle down to a project that needed thinking skills, with all the things on my mind, anxiety, etc.  So why not some mostly mindless sewing, say of simple  2 inch squares?


I am sewing these together into 25 patch units, for the pattern Film at Five by Wedding Dress Blues.  Her directions are for 2.5 inch squares. I am using 2 inch squares (the pattern is easy to modify) and real feedsack and vintage fabric obtained at flea markets, antique fairs, and ebay.  I am just sewing away and counting blocks as I finish them.  I have no idea how big this will be when I am done.

Finished blocks so far, in several piles:


I like the way this is turning out.  Not pictured here:  the sashing and corner units, which I am also piecing.  If this COVID-19 continues I may start another version of this, in 2.5 inch squares, using all my scraps.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

13 comments:

Susan said...

I, too, have felt the need for mindless sewing, or at least sewing that really is just for me.

Karen's Korner said...

Sometimes we need something mindless to stay sane.

For the love of geese said...

Great fabrics you have chosen.It's interesting to hear what everyone is doing or how their lives have changed during this pandemic. Mine has remained the same even though we have been shelter in place for a while now, extended to April 30th. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

KatieQ said...

I have made 3 quilts from this pattern using 2.5 inch squares. I found the repetitiveness of the sewing very soothing. The fact that they are great scrap busters and look wonderful when finished makes it even better. The feedsack squares are a perfect choice.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those blocks are going to make for a quilt that is SEW sweet!! Like many others of us, quilt your worries away.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Nothing like simple sewing in times of crisis, soothes the mind and soul. Love how cheery your blocks are turning out.

Norma Schlager said...

My mother always said that if you could sew you would never be bored. And she was so right especially in this time fo confinement. Your little squares look great!

Unknown said...

Your Film At Five looks great. I am interested in seeing the sashing. Good luck! Deanna @ WeddingDressBlue

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that Film at Five pattern! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. It does look like the perfect mindless piecing for these anxious times.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Great blocks, a perfect sewing project for now ;)

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely blocks! You can't go wrong with feedsacks and vintage fabrics. Keep on keeping on.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think that is a great idea - and I love the fabrics you are using. Hugs to you - this situation is certainly different!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great way to stay home and sew those scraps. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Related Posts with Thumbnails