Wednesday, January 19, 2022

More fun with Bricks, 30's reproduction style

 Good day, and welcome to a warmer, sunny day in the American Midwest!

I had some time to get into my sewing room this past weekend.  I am still inspired by the pattern Fun with Bricks on Bonnie Hunter's free patterns page, so I got to work cutting strips, and squares of unbleached muslin.  My version in dark blue and brown fabrics is shown in this post.  Let's try the same pattern in 1930's reproduction fabrics, just "that green" and pink:


This is just one block, exactly as Bonnie's instructions show.  Note the pink and green 'pinwheels' that form in the center diagonal.

How do four blocks look, laid side to side?


The value of the pink and green fabrics are very similar, so it's not as obvious as I thought it would be, but you do see the pinwheels forming.  Cool!  And there is a strong diagonal movement, as a number of my recent quilt finishes have.  I am waiting on some more fabric that I ordered from Reproduction Fabrics to freshen up the pinks and green with more variety, and some lengths for planned borders.  One always needs more fabric, yes?  And it's getting harder to find on line shops that carry mid 20th century reproduction fabrics.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday,  Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

8 comments:

Sharon Kwilter said...

Nice colors. Well done.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

love the pinwheels that come together in the center. love Bonnie Hunter's patterns!

For the love of geese said...

Lovely finish, looks so delicate. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great idea, using the pink and green 30s fabrics! I love how the blocks look together. Very inspiring!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a sweet quilt this will be!!

Vicki in MN said...

I am sure it will show more diagonal movement when the whole top is pieced. I went back to see your darker version of this, that is eye catching, a great guy quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like this block!!! its so cool! and the colors you are using are going to be great. I also like the other one you made - the darks are really pretty!

Sandy Panagos said...

What a sweet quilt. Such fresh and soft colors.

Related Posts with Thumbnails