Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Tuesday quilt: current progress

Hello and good afternoon from here.  I am running late today.
I'd like to share my current progress on a long standing UFO. (Unfinished object).  I started cutting pieces for this in 1993 (!) and really ramped up piecing in 2017.  I have been hand quilting this off and on in 2018 and in the beginning of this year.


A double wedding ring quilt, with 30's reproduction fabrics and a soft pale orange background fabric.  I am down to the last corner of the quilting - you can see my hoop in the upper right of the photo.
Pattern and templates from Shar Jorgenson Quilting in the Heartland, and the quilting template is from her company too.  I doubted I could find another that would fit the size of the rings and the "melons".
I marked the quilt in pencil, sometimes unfortunately with a heavy hand.  Below is a close up showing fabrics used and the quilting.


Overall the quilting has been a meditative experience.  Daunting at first, thinking of all the quilting ahead of me.  But I am almost done!
Next daunting step:  Trim, and apply bias binding by hand, both sides (no machine work).  I think single fold binding.  I've never bound a quilt with curved edges so this shall be interesting!  Any advice appreciated.

Linking up with Connie at Freemotion by the River and Let's Bee Social, Silly Mama quilts, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Busy Hands quilts.

Viridian

4 comments:

Brooke said...

oh wow!!
good for you!
the quilt is lovely...
thanks so much for linking up!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful quilt! I can see why it has taken so long to make.....1993, beautiful!

Norma Schlager said...

Bravo to your your persevering. Double Wedding ring is a daunting pattern and you have done it beautifully.

Susan said...

All I can say is 'bias, bias, bias' to get around those curves!

Related Posts with Thumbnails