Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Tuesday quilt top

Hello and welcome!
I am sharing a quilt top I made this past week, all from cast offs and leftovers: bits from a Christmas quilt and a Halloween quilt; old stash rediscovered (I mean fabric from the 1990's!); fabric purchased for a watercolor quilt (remember those?); fabric ordered on line that was not the color I expected; fat quarters from a pack that were uglier than I thought.


To use up this fabric, I cut bricks 3.5 inches by 9.5 inches (3 by 9 inches finished) and made strips 6 bricks long.  For about half the strips, I added a 'half-brick' cut 3.5 by 5 inches.  Alternate your strips as in brickwork or as you can see in the photo.  I have 27 rows for a size of 63 inches by 81 inches, before borders.


And that border!  The black fabric with lavender flowers is a VIP print (remember those?) from the 1990's - I found I had a yard of it.  And the green fabric - I don't remember why or when I purchased it, but I had 2.5 yards, so I must have been thinking of borders.  Use it up!  I think I will go no-buy or low-buy this year, and use up the old stash.  I plan on piecing a back for this one, out of yardage I also found while excavating for this quilt.

Linking up with Connie at Freemotion by the River and Let's Bee Social, Silly Mama quilts, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Busy Hands quilts.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

5 comments:

Brooke said...

wow!!
I love your project!
thanks so much for linking up!

brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

Jenny said...

Such a great quilt and all from leftovers. It's always good to find new ways to use up that old fabric.

Andrea said...

Love this quilt - mostly I love that you were able to create it from what you already have and it's worked an absolute treat. Totally awesome.

Kat said...

The quilt looks wonderful! It just goes to show, it looks better used up than sitting on a shelf! I love the term “excavating”. It is so fitting! I think I’ll grab my hard hat and tackle a few piles in my construction zone aka sewing room!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Excellent use of those fabrics that get tucked away. You have brought them out into the light.

Related Posts with Thumbnails