Friday, March 23, 2012

Friday Fragments March 23

Mommy's Idea

Time for the data dump for the week.

****
The biggest news of all: My brother is getting married!!!!!! My younger brother, my only brother. He is in his mid-forties and living with his wonderful girlfriend for about 10 years, but this June they are going to get hitched. It will be a small mellow ceremony in a nature preserve and planning is still in progress. We will be there!!!

****
Warm temperatures this week in the midwest that has me a little freaked out. Late June weather in March??? Yes I do worry about global warming.

****
A sign of Spring: the goldfinches are back! And yesterday they circled my empty thistle seed feeder, loudly complaining. I'll have to get some seed at the store this weekend. I like all birds but goldfinches are one of my favorites. I have one of those feeders where the birds hang upside down to get at the thistle seed. It's so fun to watch the goldfinches eat this way, and the purple finches can't do it and fall off.

****
The Girl has a wonderful science teacher this year, and she has become interested in marine biology. So I looked up on the internet marine biology summer camps. Some are sailing cruises and offer scuba training too. The price will give you sticker shock! Yet it's understandable: these camps need a qualified staff and upkeep and overhead must be much more than a tent camp in the woods of the Midwest.

We are going to wait a few years - she is a bit too young we think right now. And see if her interests continue, or perhaps switch. Maybe she would like an art and music camp in the future. The tiger mom and dad in us also would like this kind of experience to be during high school, so it can be part of her college application. Oh yes, and we do have to save some more money!

You can follow other fragmenters at Half Past Kissin' Time.

Viridian

Pin It

9 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

well now...get that feeder filled....quickly!!! [I love watching birds]

And congratulations on your bother's upcoming marriage! How exciting.

Nani said...

Congrats to your brother! I got married at 42, the 40s are a great time in life to get married!

I'm not so much worried, but very frustrated this year with the temperatures. It's just devastating my young perennials!

We don't have a bird feeder but we do have an oak tree, so we have more chipmunks and squirrels than birds. The cats love the chipmunks because they get right on the window ledge where they can watch up close. The chipmunks aren't awake yet but the squirrels are.

Wayne W Smith said...

Congrats to your brother. Also, I love see the first song birds of spring. It is a great feeling.

Nani said...

This is a PS comment - I LOVE your blog background! :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations to your brother. I do worry about global warming, or global weather change. Mother Nature is out of whack, for sure.

Kay said...

Woohoo, yay for a wedding and marriage! My cousin is the last one of us to tie the knot and I am so excited to be there and celebrate with him!!!

The warm weather has be nervous in that I hope the horrible stuff is not getting stored somewhere to dump on us next year :-( They have already had record snow fall in AK. Wonder what it will be next winter...

Oh, I would love a marine biology camp! Is she too young to send to a coastal state? They may have more opportunities there??

Actingbalanced said...

Congrats to your brother! We've been seeing a ton of birds here on migration this week.. it's been fun :)

Keetha Broyles said...

I think this is just a strange little hic-up in our weather cycle. I mean it has been a really warm winter and spring ALL OVER. No one thinks global warming has accounted for a 20 - 30 degree temperature rise in ONE year.

We've been in the 80's here in Central Wisconsin, UNHEARD of for March.

Mrs4444 said...

Waiting til high school is a very good idea; Lord only knows what she'll be into by then. That said, I do support camp for kids, especially the overnight kind; both of our kids have gone many times and absolutely love it. This year, Kendall is finally a Junior Counselor at a YMCA camp, and she can't wait. Me neither, as this year is the first FREE year. (She'll be gone for a month, home on weekends, and driving herself.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails