Thursday, December 30, 2010

Les Petites Dames of John Burbidge - VTT



 

They are 29 inches tall, but do not call them dolls.  These are to be admired and studies, not played with! They are the creation of John Burbidge and showcase fashion trends from about 1860 to 1914.

I am showing images of one of my many favorites, a ball gown from 1863.  Mr. Burbidge uses vintage and antique laces that he finds in his travels (like Paris flea markets!), along with typical doll clothing materials.  There is a book available showcasing these fashion icons (see link on left) but there is nothing compared to seeing the ladies in person.

Where are they?  Presently they are residing at Ventfort Hall in Lenox, MA, a gilded age 'cottage' built by one of the Morgans (of JP Morgan).  Ventfort Hall is in the process of being lovingly restored to its 1890's splendor - and it was full of splendor.  Visit their web page to see, http://www.gildedage.org/.

I was lucky enough to visit one afternoon.  One cannot touch the ladies of course, and I was afraid to breathe on them!  The materials are exquisite, especially the lace.  The craftsmanship is impeccable.  These look like real clothes shrunk down, not Barbie clothes by any means.  Click on the images I scanned above to see larger versions, and the detail!!!!

I am also linking in to Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage.

Inspired, Viridian

8 comments:

Postcardy said...

They are beautiful and the details are very impressive.

Miri said...

Juat beautiful! Thanks for the link...I'd love to visit the next time we're in the States.

I just love your Nearly Insane blocks...I'm working on the Jane Stickle (Dear Jane) quilt and I just love how the Insane blocks have lots of colors rather than just two.

LV said...

How beautiful, but look very real as well.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

The detail on these is just amazing. It sounds like a fun place to visit. Thanks for sharing such beautiful creations and for visiting with me.
Happy New Year

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

she's gorgeous!! thanks for the pics!!

Carrie

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a great post. My mum and I visit Lenox every summer; we see Prairie Home Companion at Tanglewood. We'll have to see if they're reopened when we go back. TFS - Happy New Year!

Ann said...

These are truly spectacular. Would love to see them in person. Thanks for your visit and all your visits in 2010. Happy New Year.
Ann

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Absolutely stunning! Such a work of art; truly something to be admired.

Thanks for linking to my party. I look forward to having you join me each week.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails