Wednesday, August 10, 2022

A Cutting Party

 Hello and welcome to my blog.  It's a cooler, somewhat rainy day in the American Midwest.

I wrote previously about how I was piecing blocks like mad.  I am at a natural stopping point: a pile of blocks that need to be measured and trimmed.  I don't wish to do this right now, so I am starting to cut pieces for upcoming projects.

I have a set of fat quarters purchased earlier this year - all reproduction 1930's fabrics.  After this investment, I must use them!  


And if I am going to go through these and iron them, I might as well cut for several projects.  Since I like scrappy 1930's quilts with a wide variety of fabrics, I decided to go through my scraps and add them to the mix.


On the ironing board, ready to go.  And if I am going to cut, I might as well cut for several projects.

1. 2.5 inch squares for nine patches.

2. 2 inch squares for a another columns-type quilt - a related but different pattern I have my eye on.

3. 5 1/4 inch squares and 2 7/8 inch squares (of lighter fabrics) for no-waste flying geese.

The beginning of my cut patches:

And I'm off!  It might be time to change the blade in my rotary cutter.  I am having to press down a bit, and sometimes recut.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday wait loss, (She featured my columns quilt!  Thank you!), Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

7 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi,
That's a lot of cutting, but the end result
is awesome. Have a great day!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Loved your column quilt, and so I'm really enjoying these fabrics you're cutting up! Can't wait to see the projects they belong to.

Vicki in MN said...

I am going to be watching your 30's progress as I too have lots of those and should get to using them.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

With so much prep work done you are gone to zip through the piecing phase. Celebrate with a new rotary blade.

viridian said...

I know, I should load a new rotary blade in my cutter!

chrisknits said...

I saw on Making a Lather that she cuts scraps for projects she has in the wings. I tend to just cut whatever I can from my scraps. So now I will use more thought as you and she have done, instead of trying to find pieces after they've been cut.

Bonnie said...

Nice to get the cutting done so you have lots of squares ready for piecing. Really like your column quilt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails