Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Columns quilt finish and some new blocks

 Hello and welcome to a very warm day in the American Midwest.  I have a finish to report.  According to past blog entries, I finished this top in 2016, and it languished for a while.  I had thought to hand quilt cables in the white parts of the top, but this year I knew this just wasn't going to happen.  So off to the long arm quilter (Boone's Quilting).


I am calling it my Columns quilt, and it is based on a vintage quilt I saw on ebay and could not afford.  I studied the ebay pictures and came up with a pattern for myself.  I used actual feedsacks and vintage fabrics that I have collected for a real vintage look.  A closer look:


Fabric squares were cut at 2 inches, to finish at 1.5 inches - postage stamp size.  


A close up of some of the fabric used.  The quilt came out square (76 inches) and I wish now I had added a white border at the top and bottom of the quilt, but it's too late now!

I have also been piecing madly in my sewing space.  I have been using my feedsack fabrics to make the flower garden pattern from the book Scrap Therapy: Scraps Plus One by Joan Ford.  I found this book in my local library.  You make two different blocks:


And set them alternately to make the whole pattern.  Here are nine blocks:


Feedsack fabric is more loosely woven than quilting or garment cotton and stretches easily.  You may need to trim:


Final project size will by 4 blocks by 5 blocks.  The blocks finished at 15 inches square, so this will be a reasonable quilt size.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday wait loss, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

10 comments:

Deb said...

What a great, classic looking quilt. And using feed sacks too! A joy to look at.
I have one at the longarmer but many more in the vault to do myself. It looks like a busy month ahead. Keeping quilting!

Vicki in MN said...

I really like your flower garden blocks, they will make a neat little quilt.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt! Perfect design for your feedsack fabrics. The quilting turned out perfect! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Michelle said...

Both of these quilts are so pretty! Congrats on the finish!

Jenny said...

Beautiful, such an old time look and feel to both projects.

Susan said...

These are both great looking scrap quilts - well done!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Love that scraps look!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

THat is an amazing finish!!! it is just gorgeous!
and I love the new one you are working on!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love your finish! How cool that you were inspired to make it from a quilt that you saw; but weren't able to purchase. What a story our projects could tell others. . . .right!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous finish and you are well on your way to a wonderful 30's quilt, too!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails