Wednesday, August 17, 2022

9 patch project in 1930's repro fabrics

 Good day and welcome to my blog.  

Last week I wrote about my Cutting Party: going through lots of 1930's reproduction fabrics, cutting for 3 project to keep me going summer into fall:

1. 2.5 inch squares for nine patches.

2. 2 inch squares for a another columns-type quilt - a related but different pattern I have my eye on.

3. 5 1/4 inch squares and 2 7/8 inch squares (of lighter fabrics) for no-waste flying geese.

I am still pulling fabrics, but I started sewing the 9 patches together, to see if it matched the plan in my mind.  I am not sewing light/dark patches together, but all 9 are of one color.  Maybe set them side by side?


Or on point?


Well this does not match the picture in my mind.  Maybe some white or Nile green sashing fabric is needed.  I will make more 9 patches (I am having fun) and see how things develop.  Your opinions welcome.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday wait loss, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

8 comments:

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I'd try arranging them by color, maybe in diagonal rows. I also like the idea of white sashing so I'd try that too. Love these fabrics and I can't wait to see what you do with the blocks! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such adorable little nine patches! I'm sure you'll come up with a great arrangement.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those nine patches are so adorable. Sylvia is so right! I like the idea of adding sashing and look forward to seeing what you decide to do!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a pretty rainbow of color! I'll enjoy seeing what you decide on for sashing!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Those are cute little blocks. What about framing each block with a thin solid frame in a coordinating color? Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Bonnie said...

Great start on using up the 30s fabric. I've got a box of it I keep trying to use. I think I have a pattern that with work with what I have. Must check it out. I'm sure you'll find the right setting for your 9 patches.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are so pretty!
and you will come up with the perfect design!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Lovely blocks, Viridian! I think you just need to keep making more of them. Adding sashing will simplify construction of the quilt top (because you won't have to match up all those seams from block to block. But you might find that what looks "not quite right" in the beginning starts to look better and better when you have more and more of these blocks to rearrange in your layout. I kind of like the pixelated color washed effect you have going on, with those darker blocks scattered here and there to create depth and movement. Whatever you decide, it will be beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails