Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Geese are starting to fly

 Good day and welcome to my blog.

After finishing my recent Nearly Insane project I was at loose ends  You know that quietness after a big project is done?  So I did other things for a week, but I came back into the quilting space and started sewing up flying geese using a no waste method.

https://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf  is my source.  There are other tutorials on the web.

I had a number of sewn geese from a previous project - many geese in columns in this finished quilt from 2017.  And since I cut without counting, many cut big squares and little squares for the no waste method.

Since I had already done geese in a column, I decided to try a different block.  I believe this is called Dutchman's Puzzle:


Laid out on the carpet. Each "goose" is 4 by 2 inches finished.  I have gone very scrappy so these blocks will definitely get a dark sashing - maybe dark gray, navy blue, or brown, to tone things down!

I am also finding that my geese are not all turning out the same size - time to pay attention to my method and be as accurate as I can.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday,  Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

7 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

I love scrappy flying geese quilts, Viridian! Your blocks are looking great so far.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh how I love flying geese!! these blocks are awesome!!!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderful scrappy geese blocks.

chrisknits said...

It's a great block, and with one of my favorite blocks! I love Flying Geese in all it's forms.

Sylvia said...

I love scrappy flying geese! And yes, it is a Dutchman's puzzle.

Nann said...

Oh, I so know that "loose ends" feeling. You feel liberated but also you feel that you shouldn't waste this golden moment....Then the feeling passes. LOL. Your scrappy Yankee geese will look great with a quiet neutral sashing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE these scrappy blocks!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails