Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Geese are now a Dutchman's Puzzle

Good day from a rainy Midwest location.  Yes, we need the rain! 

In my last post, I outlined how I was making flying geese units with a no-waste method.  I am assembling them into Dutchman's puzzle blocks, finishing at 8 inches.  Lots more blocks got done this weekend and yesterday.  I tried laying them out side by side, to see what they looked like:


My blocks are very scrappy and I don't like this setting - too busy and overwhelming to the eye.

How about on a neutral sashing fabric?  (Gray that I had, not ironed - oops!)


Better.  But I think I would like a darker gray.  More fabric purchasing is in my future!  And making more blocks.  I have about 35 right now.  And I have a pretty good pile of cut fabric squares left.

I have travel this July, but I should be able to work on these blocks this week.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday,  Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

13 comments:

Elle said...

Suggest a colorful sashing? Bright yellow, orange, green or blue?

Great use of your geese!

Cathy said...

Not too busy or overwhelming to these old eyes BUT if you insist on sashing how about red. I see a few red FG in there.

viridian said...

Red! I hadn't thought of that. Must keep thinking....

Andrea said...

Those blocks look fantastic! A great use of scraps. I really like both layouts of the blocks. There are so many wonderful options for what to do.

Gretchen Weaver said...

These blocks are great! I agree with using a darker background fabric, happy shopping and safe travels!

Julie in GA said...

I love your scrappy Dutchman's Puzzle blocks. I agree that a little separation with the sashing is better.

karenbbsnow said...

I agree with the votes for red.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are some really cool blocks! I think I would use a darker sashing too - brings out the depth in the blocks

Nann said...

I think any medium or dark sashing would work. The uniformity of the sashing will provide a frame for the delightfully scrappy geese.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such scrappy goodness is sure to make a lovely quilt!!

Bonnie said...

Nice use of the geese. I agree that it needs a place for the eye to rest. Auditioning different colors might help you determine which works best. It always surprises me what actually looks good with a quilt, esp. a scrappy one like yours.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Nice scrappy blocks! I'm sure however you separate them will work out fine. Safe travels!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great block to use up your scraps. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Related Posts with Thumbnails