Wednesday, May 27, 2020

New start: Scrappy Mountains Majesty

My previous quilt finished, I was at loose ends.  What to do?  I thought about squares I had cut for a project over 10 years ago, and sought them out.  And searched and searched.  Finally I unearthed a set of 8.5 inch squares prepped for Scrappy Mountain Majesties by Bonnie Hunter, found on her Free patterns page.  I had even printed out the instructions!

Mostly green and light neutral fabrics, a few reds, and I think I was thinking of a Christmas quilt.  Well, not much red, so let's sew up some green and white blocks:


Now, they are not sewn together yet.  I have tried two layouts of the blocks and I like this one.
This pattern works up nicely but I would recommend:
1. reading through the directions all the way, carefully,
2. and making a test block or two, being sure you know the method.

I had no problems, but I was glad I made a test block before starting making the blocks two at a time.  I'll continue on these blocks this week and next, and it looks like I have enough squares cut for a lap quilt.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

7 comments:

Susan said...

This looks great to me!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Great layout, pretty blocks!

Vicki in MN said...

I love Bonnie's method of this block, it's so fun to make. I have been using it for some table runners. Itching to make a patriotic fabric one. I love your green version;)

Norma Schlager said...

Very nice! You could always add a little red in the border is you want it to be more Christmasy.

The Joyful Quilter said...

This quilt is on my To Make list. One of these days, I will make my own Scrappy Mountain Majesties quilt. For now, I will just stare longingly at this lovely green version you are creating!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like how this one is turning out!!

For the love of geese said...

The layout looks nice, cant wait to see it finished. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails