Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Feedsack Frenzy quilt - almost done

I have been collecting feedsacks for a long time - at antique malls, antique fairs, and ebay.
Now to use them... and make a quilt that looks vintage, not too 'pretty'.  But of course don't we collect the pretty fabric?
So I had a bunch of 3 inch squares left over from a previous project.  A simple design, using them up, and vintage fabric for the border.


And another feedsack (from ebay) for the back.


A bright orange yellow flower pattern.  And you can see some of the feedsack fabric I used.  Simply quilted in straight lines, on my trusty old Kenmore.

Almost done - I am sewing down the binding (yet another feedsack fabric).  I did not have enough of the border fabric leftover for the binding.

Linking up with Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Busy Hands quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

6 comments:

Miaismine said...

You are a gal after my own heart! I love the 30's vintage fabrics, but had no idea that actual feedsacks were still in existence. How cool is that? I love your quilt! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I'm with Miaismine: I didn't realize there were so many authentic feedsacks to be had. What are your plans for this beauty?

Rebecca Grace said...

Very pretty, Viridian! Where have you been able to find so many vintage feed sacks in such pristine condition? I have a 1942 Dresden Plate family quilt with all the plate blades made from feed sack prints. I would love to have a source for authentic fabrics in the event that I need to do repairs.

Rose said...

I use a trusty old (40 years) Kenmore also. I oil regularly and she keeps on stitching. It has never been serviced although she started sounding funny last week and I have asked the DH to check to see if the local cleaner knows someone to service it. A coworker gave me another trusty old Kenmore. It's newer but not new. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. That's my motto.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So much scrappy goodness in this quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

I love the "real" vintage fabric, I have collected quiet a few from garage sales and thrift shops. It is such a delightful quilt, really beautiful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails