Wednesday, June 12, 2024

A finish: Dutchman's Puzzle quilt

 Welcome to my blog.  It's a beautiful sunny day today, not too hot, where I am.  When I am not working my day job I have time to sew, and time for quilt finishes.  Here is a UFO (Un-finished object) that I started piecing in January 2023, and in May 2023 I had finished the top.  It went off to the long arm quilter I use, came back, and sat.  And sat.

Well this week I trimmed it and bound it, in the same fabric I used for the borders.  Here is an overall view.


The pattern is Dutchman's Puzzle, done in reproduction 1930's fabrics.  I had purchased a stack of fat quarters, and added scraps from my stash.  It is 80 inches by 89 inches, so it's hard to show it all.

A closer view:


And a view of one block:


I finished a quilt in this pattern earlier, using much different fabric.  Oldies from my stash, mixed with newer florals and some batiks:


Yes fabric choices make a difference!  My son is currently using the second one.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle and Thread Thursday, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Nina-Marie, Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

Very nice combo of pattern and fabric choice...

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I adore 30s fabrics, and Dutchman's Puzzle is a great choice for showing them off. So glad you finished this. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/06/11/wednesday-wait-loss-384

Nann said...

It's always interesting to see how the sashing sets off the blocks -- in the new quilt, neutral and in the older one, a contrast. Great way to use all those 30's prints!

Anne-Marie said...

Pretty!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I am totally in love with this...the design, the fabrics, the colours. What a wonderful finish!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Congrats on the UFO Finish! I was thinking of making Dutchman's Puzzle for the RSC2025 blocks...

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What fun to compare the two Dutchman's Puzzle quilts. The fabric choice makes a big difference. You almost can't tell it is the same pattern

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a difference between the two quilts! Both are equally lovely!

JanineMarie said...

Both quilts are so pretty. I have a special place in my heart for 30"s colors scrappy quilts. Right now as I'm writing this I can see my Dutchman's Puzzle pillow across the room. I made it years ago, but I don't think I ever paid attention to the name. Funny as most of my family are of Dutch descent. Thanks for supplying the name of the block.

Related Posts with Thumbnails