Wednesday, February 23, 2022

A finish: Pink and green Fun with Bricks quilt

 It's a wintry day in the American Midwest, and time to blog about a new finish.  I actually finished it Saturday, and it's now Wednesday.

I did a smallish quilt in blue and brown using Bonnie Hunter's Fun with Bricks pattern - found on her Free patterns page.  I wasn't completely done however!  I collected 1930's fabric in pink and "that green" to do the pattern again.  I hoped that the 'pinwheels' would stand out a bit more.  These 'pinwheels' form if you use just two colors and place the fabrics carefully.  Well, they didn't shown up as well as I thought they would.  It's still a pretty quilt:


about 54 by 66 inches, so good for a child.  A closeup view of one corner:


You can see the pattern of pink and green pinwheels here.  The border, which I bought just for this project, is more of an aqua color.  It sure looked like 'depression green' on line.  Oh well.  

I used a cotton batting with scrim, and quilted in the ditch every 6 inches, and in the ditch in the borders.  Some child will like it.

This quilt has gone to a charity project at my church - the youth group is giving stuffed animals, blankets (and quilts) to children in the hospital.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday,  Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

8 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

So beautiful and very creative. I admire your talent. Have a blessed rest of this week. Can you beleive February is gone in just 4 more days?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like all those colors together. I think they are so pretty
and it will surely make a child smile!

The Joyful Quilter said...

If you look at the quilt "just so", I think the pinwheels pop right out of the design. Either way, it's a lovely little quilt! Congrats on finishing it up for donation.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

That quilt is going to make someone very happy.

Whether the pinwheels pop or not has to do with value of the fabrics and not the colors. Green and red (pink) can be particularly tricky for contrast since they tend to be the closest in value vs. say yellow and purple which are at opposite ends of the color value spectrum. A personal creed of mine is "there are no mistakes in quilting, just learning experiences and creative opportunities."

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

so pretty and soft! love the white diagonal in this!

Rebecca Grace said...

It's a lovely finish, even if the pinwheels aren't as prominent as you'd hoped them to be. How are you planning to quilt this one? Perhaps you could make the pinwheels pop out more by quilting them differently than the fabric patches immediately surrounding them?

Sylvia said...

Cute quilt!

Kathy S. said...

I see the pinwheels. It's a fun quilt. LOVE the colors. Nice finish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails