Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Too much fabric!

I'm cleaning out my upstairs craft room, and moving stuff to the new refinished basement craft area.  It's amazing what I have found.  the fabric below does NOT include the three full bags of poly-cotton, uglies, and small pieces that went in the garbage.




These are the fabrics to be given away, maybe.  I then read Bonnie Hunter's take on scraps at her Quiltville site.  She reminds us that there is plenty of $$$$ represented here, and could we put some of the fabric to good use, in a scrap quilt?  And yes she has wonderful patterns to choose from.  So I read about her system, selected some patterns, and pulled fabric, and started cutting.


Her you see 3.5 inch strips, 2 inch strips, 5.25 inch squares,6 by 1.5 inch strips, and 8.5 inch squares.  the 3.5 and 2 inch strips can be used in many ways.  the 5.25 inch square will be used in a no-waste method of making flying geese blocks. See  http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf for how this is done. The 8.5 inch squares are for Bonnies' Mountains Majesties project.

I have made progress.  I have come across embarrassments.  Like the red and black check fat quarter, never touched, with the date of 1988 on the selvage.  Or the fabric below.  I think this was a remnant on sale - that's the only excuse I can formulate right now.

                    

(Colors are worse in person.)  Oh well. Cut into smaller pieces it may look OK, and if not, cut it into even smaller pieces.
Viridian


3 comments:

Cheryl Willis said...

I am a scrap quilter and do similar systems (I like to make piles) I didn't want to overload myself by cutting all the scraps so I just cut for a project and toss the extras into 'their' pile, when a pile gets deep enough I make another top from it. I like 2 1/2" for some reason. Your flower material would look great cut up. cw

Lane said...

I'm doing the same thing with my scrap bins. But, I have not moved on to my stash. I'm feeling burdened by my stash and am going to donate a lot of fabric to project Linus. They don't care if it's all cotton or not. I don't know when my stash got out of control...well, I know when, I don't know how. Enjoy digging through it. And, as someone that has cut some truly ugly fabric into little squares...if you get small enough, it just becomes a color with no pattern. Except for frogs. For some reason, no matter how small I cut a frog print, I still see a frog. Lane

Linda said...

I love Bonnie's inspiration. I've been shopping from my stash for awhile now and just filling in a little here and there for a particular project. I'm laughing aloud right now at Lane's comment above about the frog fabric...he's right!

Related Posts with Thumbnails