Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Mom was right!

 Good day, and welcome to my blog.

I have started a new project, using a jelly roll of fabric from a line called Georgia by Moda Fabrics.  I was at the local quilt store and felt a jelly roll was a more economical purchase than a half yard each of the entire fabric line, looking so wonderful on the shelf.  😊

So, what jelly roll pattern to use?  I have a pattern called Over and Down Under, purchased a few years ago:


You need one jelly roll of 40 strips, and a background fabric.  I bought a deep purple for the background.

I ran this idea past my mom: sending her the image above of the pattern, and sending her to the website by Moda of the Georgia fabric line.  (You can click and see it too.)

Mom is a retired art teacher, and knows color, hues, tints, shade, contrast etc.  She gently pointed out, that although a set of beautiful fabrics, the pastels would not have much contrast, and the 'woven' look may not develop.

I cut the fabric, and started anyway.  Here is part of the border:


And here is the top left corner, partially sewn together:


Mom Was Right!  6 rows together and the fabric blends together!  Well except for one strong lavender column on the right.

I will persevere and continue... (the fabric is cut) ... but this top may never be quilted.

I still like this pattern.  I have a jelly roll of bright batiks (no pastels) in a rainbow of colors, and yardage in a charcoal color for background.  That will be my next project, and I'll share it to this blog when I have some progress.

Linking up with Midweek Makers (she featured my log cabin project - thank you!), Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle and Thread Thursday, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Nina-Marie, Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

9 comments:

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Sometimes I guess Mom is right. But to me, the quilt still looks lovely even if the woven part is not as distinct. Kudos to you for persevering! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/08/27/wednesday-wait-loss-395

cityquilter grace said...

have to say i like this a whole lot better with the fabrics you used...the other was too dark for my liking...very very nice

Deb said...

It will still be lovely, soft and delicate. Carry on! Have a great week!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

It really doesn't matter if the weave shows or not. Someone who doesn't know the history would just see a beautiful quilt. However, if you do want the weave to show up better, some judicious quilting might do the trick.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I agree with Gwyned. . .I hope you will finish it!

Nann said...

One of those deceptive pattern -- you really do need to buy it to figure out all the over-and-undering. It looks great so far.

Chrisknits said...

I love that quilt! It's definitely on my some day list.

For the love of geese said...

Great start, I love your colors. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Margaret said...

Yes, your mother was right about the lack of contrast -- the fabrics are pretty much all the same value -- but to my eye there's a type of conrast created by alternating "bold" prints with more subtle ones and/or solids. I like the muted look; it's just another approach. As for the cover of the pattern it's quite the opposite -- pretty *high* contrast all the way. It all depends on the look you want!

Related Posts with Thumbnails