Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Snowball blocks: now in early 1800's reproduction fabric

 Hello, and welcome to my blog on quilting projects.

I think I am working in a series.  I have been sewing up some snowball blocks in reproduction fabric:

a. in late 1800's repro fabric

b. in 1930's - 1940's repro fabric.

Now I have a new project in mind: use my stash of early 1800's reproduction fabric, in a little bit larger block size.  Did I mention I love studying antique quilts, and collecting reproduction fabric?

Using a tan solid I had in stash, here are the first 9 blocks:


Blocks finish at 8 inches square.  The tan is a little dark, but we just bought a new car, so I must be frugal and use what I have.  I have 2.5 yards of the tan.  I hope it is enough.

I kept making blocks:


Fabrics of the time period 1810 - 1840 were big and bold - no little calico prints.  That came later.  

More work on this project today I hope!

Linking up with Midweek MakersWednesday Wait Loss, Needle and Thread Thursday, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

6 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

very nice so far....i too am sewing up repro scraps...

Laurie said...

Hi Viridian,

It's interesting to learn that the smaller prints that I usually think of reproduction prints didn't come until later than 1840.

The 1930's are the ones I rememeber most from childhood. I'm not so old I was around in 1930 but the 1930's reproductions were popular the year I was six. My mom let me pick out fabric and made me summer tops. I loved all the little prints. It's funny but 50+ years later I still remember those tops.

Love your snowball blocks. They will make a beautiful quilt!

Laurie

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I think the tan fabric is perfect. It helps that it is a solid versus print. Thus you favorite reproduction fabrics are showcased delightfully.

quiltingbydawn said...

Nice blocks! I think it will be lovely reproduction quilt and I like the tan color!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful blocks! This is the perfect way to showcase those wonderful early 1800s reproduction fabrics. You have a good collection!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great block to showcase your collection of early reproduction prints! Like your background

Related Posts with Thumbnails