Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Snowball blocks: Before and After

 Good Day, and welcome to what promises to be a warm day in the American Midwest.

This week, I have a project that has changed its direction.  I had made a top with Snowball blocks, finishing at 4 inches.  

What about changing the pattern, make the blocks bigger, and feature some of my reproduction 1930's and 1940's fabrics?  How about blocks that finish at 6 inches?

Below is my first iteration at this.


I followed the style of the top above, with plain Kona Snow fabric in the alternating blocks.  Oh, but I don't like this at all.

Try again, getting rid of the alternating blocks:


This is much better!  I am going to make this a small quilt though, and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Linking up with Midweek Makers , Wednesday Wait Loss (she featured my Dutchman's puzzle quilt top!  Thank you!), Needle and Thread Thursday, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

4 comments:

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Sometimes an experiment is worth it just to try something new. Perhaps you can look at your original redo and consider what you didn't like about it. In the original, there was a limited color palette of red, blue, and cream. Perhaps if you tried again with your 30s fabrics but limited the color palette you might like the result better? Anyway, it's worth a thought.

I really loved your original red and blue version and have hopes you can find a way to make it work with the 30s fabrics because I love them too! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/05/31/wednesday-wait-loss-330

Bonnie said...

I'm a big fan of Snowball blocks having made several quilts out of them. But I must say I really love your red, white and blue version with the rotating corner colors. Kona Snow looks so good with the 30s and 40s fabrics. Have fun with these.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Snowball blocks make the most interesting quilts! I like both of your versions. Since red is my favorite color, your version with the red is my favortie.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love these blocks! I might try this pattern with novelty prints for a kids' quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails