Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Simple block makes interesting quilt pattern

 Good Day, and welcome to my blog.

Stolen hours in my sewing room has led to some block making of a new columns-type quilt.  I saw this pattern on a quilt list I am a member of - Stashbusters on Groups.io.  Its ultimate origin may be on Pinterest. 

In any case I gathered my array of 1930's reproduction fabric scraps, and cut them into 2 inch squares.  I also cut squares of Kona Snow and Kona Charcoal solids.  It starts with a simple block:


With a nice diagonal movement.  The solids are not quite stark white and black but they have a high contrast.  Now, set some blocks together, rotating some blocks:


More nice diagonal movement.  Even better:  Set the blocks on point:


This is the pattern and look that set our internet group talking.  This is working up slowly because with a finished square size of 1.5 inches the blocks are only 6 inches across, finished.  If I do this again I would pick a bigger starting square size, say 3 inches.  I don't know yet how big this will be, but not large as I am using up my precut squares at a fast speed.  I also don't know how I'll finish the edges, but I'll think on that later.

I am using many different fabrics that play well together, and I would recommend that if you want this kind of look.  It doesn't have to be reproduction fabrics - I think modern Tula Pink type fabrics would work well too.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle and Thread Thursday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

7 comments:

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Pretty design! I agree; this would look great in other fabrics as well. Meanwhile I'm loving your reproduction fabrics! So cool. Can't wait to see which setting you choose for your pretty blocks. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Bonnie said...

Oooh -- another idea for using up squares I cut on a regular basis... Hum, must remember this great quilt.

Susan said...

Great use of little squares!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing this tricky little block! For some reason, I never realized that was how those "path" quilts were constructed. Off to find some scraps and give this a try...

Margaret said...

That's going to be very striking, especially on point!

Angie in SoCal said...

Those color blocks work out really wonderful. There is so much you can do with them. LOvely design.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh!! that is such a cool block!! I like how you can lay the Black and white and get such a graphic look!!! Thanks for showing us how you made it!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails