Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Pink and white log cabin top: it's going to be a big quilt

Hello and welcome to my blog.  I have been busy at my day job, and busy off and on in my sewing room.  Many pink and white strips have been sewn together to make 10.5 inch (unfinished) log cabin blocks.  Imagine my dismay when I measured some blocks and many were 10.75 inches, and some were 10.5 inches. Clearly I need to work on sewing an exact 1/4 inch seam.  And my dismay when the clear plastic shoeboxes I use to hold my strips were still half full after I was done!  I do tend to not count pieces and to overcut.

I went ahead and sewed the blocks together, following the seam allowances of the smaller blocks, and if some outer 'logs' are a little bit skinnier, no one will notice.  I finished on Monday night.  It's a monster quilt top, for me!  9 by 10 blocks, or 90 by 100 inches:


Only a portion of the top.  My floor space is about 70 by 90 inches.  Curiously (or not) most of my bigger quilts are 70 by 90 inches.

A close up:


Many different reproduction pinks, shirtings, cream fabrics here.  

On Tuesday I took this top and backing fabric to the long arm quilter I use.  She will add swirling feathers to this, and use a wool batt.

Next: I am not done with the log cabin pattern.  I have many blue and brown Civil War reproduction fabrics to bust.  That is my next project to cut before the New Year.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

11 comments:

Unknown said...

done ---wonderfulnice fabrics ane soft in a way. fun to cuddle under at some point !

Gretchen Weaver said...

Lovely quilt, very pretty!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is a wonderful quilt - I love all the variety and the colors! Go you!!

Norma Schlager said...

I love this quilt! All those pretty pinks and neutrals flow together beautifully.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a classic pattern. Best of luck with the next Log Cabin quilt!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi, what a lovely quilt top. I love those colours. Take care.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

This is such a beautiful top! I love all the variety in the pinks and shirting fabrics.

Robin said...

What a delightful quilt. The colors are just so beautiful and sewn together it looks soothing and "just right". Very nice work.

scraphappy said...

So funny to hear that most of your quilts turn out the same size as the open space on your floor. It makes such perfect sense. I've always thought it would be fun to have rectangles marked out on the floor to mark the different sizes of quilts. Such lovely colors. Hopefully some of those extra logs will make it into the next project.

Nann said...

I love the pop of yellow in the midst of the pink and light logs. I understand about overcutting but that's how true scrap quilts are born! When I made a log cabin top (still not quilted) I had success by trimming the blocks as I finished them. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the brown/blue CW prints. I have a lot of them, too.

For the love of geese said...

Grr, that is so frustrating to miscut but you know, your quilt is wonderful. You are right, no one will notice. I have a Log Cabin quilt along happening now that you could use up some strips. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails