Wednesday, October 7, 2020

A finish: Red and white log cabin

 Hello and welcome.

I have been working on this off and on.  Started in December 2019, and blogged about in this post.  I finally took it to be long armed quilted this year.  It recently came back, looking lovely with quilted swirling feathers on a wool batting that puffs up so nicely.

No borders; I bound with a red fabric I had saved for just this purpose.  About 70 by 90 inches.


And a close up view:


The logs finish at 1 inch wide.  I bind by sewing the binding to the back, flipping it over to the front and pressing then pinning, then top stitching down with a closely matching thread.

I like this one so much I have put it on my bed, and slept under it last night and the night before.  Heavenly!

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian



9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love red and white quilts. This one is great.

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh my gosh, Viridian -- this is GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations!! I'm so glad you shared that you went with a wool batting AND you're happy with that choice. I bought a wool batting for my California King pineapple log cabin that's waiting patiently to be quilted, but I'm a little nervous about the weight. Like your quilt, mine is made with tiny fabric strips so there are lots of seams and I was surprised by how heavy that makes the quilt top even before quilting it. I had originally thought of a Baptist Fan quilting design for my pineapple log cabin, but the feathers on your quilt complement the traditional patchwork so nicely... Did your long armer use a pantograph or digital feather design or did she/he freehand the feathers? It's a gorgeous finish!

viridian said...

Rebecca: It is a pantograph but looks like freehand feathers. The quilt is slightly heavier than cotton quilts but not too much.

Norma Schlager said...

Beautiful! It's hard to beat a well made log cabin and yours is wonderful. Sleep well!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I truly love log cabins -and this one is just so beautiful!! I bet you have heavenly dreams while sleeping under it!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love log cabin quilts too. Yours looks amazing! Thanks for sharing it with Oh Scrap!

Susan said...

Love it! I have yet to make a log cabin quilt. Someday...

chrisknits said...

Love it!! You just can't go wrong with a red and cream quilt! And that little bit of yellow is perfect.

KatieQ said...

The quilt looks amazing! I particularly like the yellow centers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails