Wednesday, September 23, 2020

How big a quilt? I have an answer

 Two weeks ago I posed a question:  Given a shoe box stuffed with 2.5 inch strips, and a plan to make a Crayon box quilt, how big a quilt would I be able to make?

I added a number of 4.5 inch plain squares, called for by the pattern by Bonnie Hunter.

I have sewn the strips together, and partially assembled the top:


As to the answer: 49 12 inch blocks, set 7 by 7,  for a 84 by 84 inch quilt, not counting any added borders.  All that came from this box:


And this is what is left:


Not quite enough (or with enough variety) to make 7 more blocks, and therefore a rectangular quilt.

Still, 84 by 84 inches, from one shoe box.  I shudder when I think of the size of my stash.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

10 comments:

Susan said...

It's looking good!

Andree G. Faubert said...

That is pretty impressive. I wouldn't have thought that there was that much fabric in there! It's a lovely top. Take care.

Norma Schlager said...

That's quite impressive to think that you got such a big quilt from just a shoebox full. Yours came out great. I also shudder to think of how many quilts could come out my studio with 40 years of stash.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

that is quite impressive!! and what a cool quilt that will be!!

grammajudyb said...

Whoo hoo ! It’s fabulous “

The Joyful Quilter said...

Incredible!!! Thanks for clearing that question up for all of us. A friend and I were discussing a similar conundrum concerning the gallon baggies of scraps in our studios. Your revelation is somewhat terrifying. Obviously, we need to sew WAY more hours per week!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I often wonder how many quilts are hidden away in all my MANY tubs of scraps. They would probably keep me busy for years. Thanks for sharing your lovely blocks with Oh Scrap!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great way to use up your shoebox of fabric! I've passed on my leftovers to a quilty friend, but I don't think she was too impressed... it'll keep her busy for ages!

For the love of geese said...

This is encouraging, I have a few packs of strips and some left overs and wondered how big a quilt I could actually make with them. Thank you for answering that thought. Your quilt is very pretty, I love all the earthy tones. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Nann said...

If you're determined to use every last inch you can piece those remainders into the back. Good for you for using the bounty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails