Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Finish: Vintage 4 patch is done

Hello, and welcome!
I pieced this quilt top in 2019 and it languished for a while.  I finally added borders and sent it off to a local lady who does long arm quilting.  I got it back a few weeks ago.

The quilting, on a wool batt, is marvelous!  The batting puffs up a bit more than thin cotton batting.  Time to finish this quilt.  I prepared red binding.  Lately I am finishing the binding by machine because it goes so much quicker, and I have gotten better at stitching the front down.

I cut binding strips at 2.5 inches. iron in half.  I trim the quilt, machine on the binding to the backside.  I join the two ends of binding using the method described HERE.  Then flip over to the front side, iron down, and pin into place.  Now it's time to topstitch the binding.


Using a closely matching thread can hide a lot of uneven stitching.  I stitch close to the edge, and I don't worry about the line of stitching on the back side.  I am not submitting these quilts to a competition.

The final quilt, with a peek at the back:


And a close up of the wonderful quilting:


Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

10 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

Your quilt is simply lovely! I love the artistic hand of someone who quilts. Your quilt is just excellent. Thanks for sharing and HUGS across the miles.

Kat Scribner said...

Lovely finish. Traditional and comforting pattern and fabrics.

Nann said...

Nice! The multiple fram es around the scrappy 4 patches and then the red sashing gives a lot of depth. The quilting turned out well.

For the love of geese said...

Lovely finish. Wool batting it great for adding dimension to the quilt, I love it but have only used it once myself. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Cathy said...

Congrats on the finish. I do that method of binding on donation quilts as that is what is requested but I don't like doing it that way and prefer to sew down on back by hand. My machine binding topstitched down on front leaves a little to be desired unlike yours.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh this is gorgeous!! LOVE that quilt and the feathers!!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Simply elegant.

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, lovely quilt finish, and I love the texture and snuggly warmth of a wool quilt! I wish you had shared close ups of the "good enough" machine stitching for the binding. I have tried to machine stitch binding a couple of times, but I'm not sure what "good enough" looks like and seeing a close up of how machine stitched binding normally looks would be hugely helpful. I keep comparing my machine stitched binding to my hand stitched binding, which is like comparing a lump of dirt to a chocolate bar... ;-)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This quilt is wonderful. I love the striped frames. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

grammajudyb said...

It’s really lovely! I’m sure it feels good to have it finished! I use the exact same technique for ,ending the binding. It never fails!

Related Posts with Thumbnails