Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Almost done done: 9 patch quilt

It is quilted and labeled, just some inches of binding to sew down.  I have been hand quilting this since early May.


As described in an earlier post, I purchased a vintage top (1900?  1920's?) in great condition from a dealer at an antique fair.  It came from Kalamazoo, MI.  I have added new batting and a reproduction fabric backing, and I have been hand quilting it.

The maker had a wide variety of scraps, but at times pieced two small pieces together to make a larger piece of fabric for a square.  She (I assume a she) did buy enough of the red fabric for setting and borders.  The white fabric in the border is not used in the 9 patches.  All the work is hand done, except the borders are pieced and attached by machine stitching.  If she ran out of a blue or light fabric, she simply substituted a similar fabric.


Some of the fabrics used are flimsy - very low thread count, not really appropriate for clothing.  I wonder what they are scraps of.  The 9 patches are precisely pieced.  However in putting the zig zag rows together, some of the corners of the 9 patches were cut off.  No problem. The quilt top lies flat.

Things I have learned:
Don't worry about small mistakes, like cutting corners off.
You don't need yellow or orange to brighten up a quilt, red does just fine.

A view of the back ground fabric:


It is a Paula Barnes fabric, and looks so much like the "double purple" fabric used back then.

So happy this is almost done!!

I am linking up with Connie at Freemotion by the River and Quilt Story as I do most weeks I have porjects to share. Both blog hops have pictures of pretty quilt blocks and other projects.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl
Viridian

3 comments:

mangozz said...

The quilt looks awesome! You took on a big job and you're almost done. You should be very proud! I love red fabric but I am always afraid it will run so I use very small quantities and pre-wash everything. I would love to make a red and white quilt someday, though. I'm curious, did you pre-wash the quilt top?

viridian said...

No I did not. Some of the fabric is thin and there was a small tear in one piece so I did not think it would survive washing without damage.

Terry said...

Simply beautiful. Good work. I love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails