Good day, and welcome to my blog.
In my last blog post, I shared an 8-inch block using flying geese units, and an interesting set.
Today I report that I finished the blocks and started assembling the diagonal rows for the on-point setting.
Here is the top with setting triangles in place, minus borders:
And a close-up:
The border will be 4 inches wide (cut at 4.5 inches), using a navy print fabric I had held aside. I had just enough:
Yes, that's what is left. I will add the borders later this week.
A Tale of two neutral fabrics
I had ordered a yard of a Kona Solid fabric in a more warm beige tone that my usual Kona Snow, to see if I liked it. I did, and I went ahead and ordered 1.5 yards of this color, I thought, from etsy. I was sure that I had originally ordered the champagne color. So that is what I ordered from etsy. I wanted it for the setting triangles for this project.
Well, when it arrived, it was clear they were two different colors.
Triangles: Champagne color. Folded yardage: the original purchase. The color difference is more obvious in person. I used the Kona Champagne in my quilt top. I'll use the yardage in another project.
Linking up with Monday Musings, Sew and Tell at Melva Loves Scraps, Design Wall Monday, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Nina-Marie, Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, From Bolt to Beauty, I Quilted This! at Quilting and Learning, Frederique at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.
I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl
Viridian





15 comments:
you just flew thru this project - it looks great
that has happened to me a few times...online ordering is great but if the shade really counts, in person is better....good thing it's a nice neutral....lovely quilt
I really like the design. The alternating sashing is echoes the V of real flying geese. Fortunately you have enough of the one to use in this project. Just be sure to label them so you don't inadvertently combine them the next time!
So much gorgeous fabrics in this quilt and I love the layout. Good thing you had enough Kona to finish this flimsy.
So pretty! That blue border is going to be perfect with this. Boy you just had enough! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/08/05/wednesday-wait-loss-496
Great job! I love the blocks in that on-point setting.
What a fun block and layout. Seems you were able to rally despite the value difference between the two beige fabrics.
I don't think I've ever met a flying geese quilt I didn't like, and this one is no exception. Your fabrics give it such energy!
What a stunning way to showcase flying geese. I love it!
Hi Viridian, your flying geese quilt is really looking great. I love the navy blue in the lines and it'll look great for the border. I wonder if you really got Kona fabric. I don't think that colours change with batches, that's the whole point. At least you'll be able to use it elsewhere. Thanks so much for linking up to I Quilted This!
Andree: I think my original purchase was Kona Eggshell or something similar. I misremembered and thought I had purchased the Champagne color.
What a great quilt. I hear you on the pain of trying to get the same fabric on line. I "try" to write down what a new piece of fabric is, where I got it and what I paid for it. The little piece of paper is then safety pinned on the fabric. (I only do that for 1/2 yards and bigger.)
Those geese are in formation now and ready to make that top fly! Yes ordering solids online can be a bit of a crap shoot. Years ago I loved the Aged Muslins that MODA used to make but had a devil of a time reordering particular colors of it. I had the same problem, often what said it was right in the description or looked right in the image listing would not be correct once it arrived. The lesson there was order a bunch extra on the first go around or be prepared to be flexible about combining whatever came new with what you already had.
this is LOVELY!!! I really like all the fabrics you are using - such a great look!
Great job, Viridian. I love how this came together! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings.
Post a Comment