Sunday, February 22, 2009

Older thift store find

After blogging about my recent find in thrift store A (see previous post), I decided to look in my closet for another worn quilt that I had found previously in the same store, some time ago. The receipt says I bought this one March 5, 2005. I just about fell over when I saw this one folded up on a hangar.
An Anne Orr type pattern, based on cross-stitch, each square one inch across. And yes, the ENTIRE white background is ALSO one inch squares, cut out and sewn together, corners matching. Insane! Probably from the 1930's or 1940's. The top area with a separate design to covers the pillows is badly worn and ripped. How was this quilt abused to look like this? Covering springs on a mattress? Used as furniture padding? And why would anyone cut a hole out of the middle of the quilt?

This quilt cost me $10.00 as you can see. I also note that the quilt arrived at the store on 3/3/05 and I purchased it two days later. Hmm, maybe if I go thrifting more than 4-6 times a year, I could pick up the interesting things that Nancy-Rose does.

As I was opening up the quilt today, I noticed these stamps on the back. What does this mean?

The quilting is intact, and is pretty well done and you can see by these photos.


Viridian61

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails