Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Excavated old UFO: A restart

 Hello and welcome to my blog entry this week.

I described in my previous post how I unearthed a length of reproduction double pink fabric for binding, and it reminded me of a long ago project.  Specifically, my Nearly Insane project, based on the book of the same name.  This book was inspired by a quilt from the late 1800's by Salinda Rupp.  I too was drawn in.  In 2011 and 2012 (by my blog entries)  I made a block a week, and followed along with a Yahoo group of ladies all working on this project.  Sadly, the group became inactive and has now disappeared with the demise of Yahoo groups.  But I still have my blocks, and I laid them out to see what I had:


Laid out on the floor, with some pink sashing already cut, and the carpet showing showing in between other blocks.  Each block finishes at 6 inches squares, and I had 59 blocks done (more than 90 in the original quilt).  For the most part I followed the original color scheme and used reproduction fabrics. The blocks I had were just perfect for a moderately sized top - no more blocks to make!  How did that happen?  I just had to make a few half blocks for the setting triangles around the edges.

Below, a close-up of blocks that have many pieces and were complicated to make:


Yes, that is why the project is called Nearly Insane!  Salinda, the original quiltmaker, was using up all her scraps it seems.  Now that I have excavated the blocks and the sashing fabric, and ordered more black fabric for the cornerstones, I shall get going on this.  

I do not plan on piecing the original zig zag border.  I am sure I can find something appropriate in my stash, or I may 'have' to buy more fabric.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Needle and Thread Thursday,  Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

10 comments:

chrisknits said...

Oy! That will be gorgeous, but mind boggling to think of making.

Gretchen Weaver said...

As soon as I saw the photo on Alycia's page, I knew that was NI. I made one several years ago and I did think I was insane for making one. Your quilt will be a treasure. You'll take pride in yourself when you look at the finished quilt and think I really did it! Happy stitching!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

WOW! Some of those blocks look very complicated. I'm glad you pulled them out to finish the quilt. I look forward to seeing it altogether.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Well some might call it insane, I call a project like this a great way to work on your piecing skills. Adding the pink sashing will tie it all together. Can't wait to see the final quilt.

Norma Schlager said...

What a treasure this will be. I haven't done intricate piecing in a long time and wonder if I still could. So Bravo you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So glad you unearthed this treasure!!! its going to be amazing!!

Vivian said...

Ahhh, I remember it well! In my early quilting days, next to a "Dear Jane" or a "Sylvia's Bridal Sampler", this was the other "crazy intense" project I always wanted to make. So glad you unearthed this one and are getting it back on track. You can dedicate its finish to the memory of last year!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! What an incredible UFO find!! Best of luck on the finishing.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Those are lovely blocks. It is good they are out and progressing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

For the love of geese said...

I so hope you will come back and share this finish on Put your foot down. I don't have a lot of time anymore to visit all the blogs that I love to see progress. Glad you unearthed it and shared, thank you for linking up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails