Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Scraps: Now a Duckworth pattern top

 Good day and welcome to my blog.

Today I report on my significant progress on using my shoeboxes full of scraps.  I started with a white center block and made improvisational log cabin blocks.  These are, I realize now, Duckworth blocks.  Thank Kat for pointing this out.  See this blog entry for more on this pattern, usually made up in scraps from one color.  They are named after Joanne Merrill-Duckworth who sadly passed away in May of this year.

I was working with pink and brown reproduction fabric strips.  A pile of blocks:


I thought setting them side by side (the usual way with Duckworth blocks) would be too much of a mishmash.  So I trimmed the blocks to 6 inches square, and added sashing of beige and black, the two pieces of fabric I had big enough for this task.  The sashing finishes at 1 inch wide.  Here are some blocks sewn together.


I found a reproduction small patterned pink fabric (2 yards) to be border and binding.  The whole top:


And a close-up:


From 2 shoeboxes of scrap strips and about 3/4 to 1 yard of beige fabric, 3/4 to 1 yard of black fabric, and 2 yards of border fabric, I have a lap-sized top.  It is about 60 by 68 inches?  There is some border fabric left over.

Now to consider scraps and leftovers from making my Pie Birds quilt, and leftovers from a green and white log cabin quilt.  I overcut for both projects.

Linking up with Monday Musings, Sew and Tell at Melva Loves Scraps, Design Wall Monday, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Nina-Marie, Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, From Bolt to Beauty, I Quilted This! at Quilting and Learning, Frederique at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

1 comment:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I like how you used these scraps!! these blocks have so many names its fun to learn the newest names haha!! ( I remember them being wonky log cabins, and crumb blocks from when I started quilting)

Related Posts with Thumbnails