Wednesday, September 9, 2026

More Scraps and more Duckworth blocks!

 Good day and welcome to my blog.

More looking on shelves - really looking - led to more discoveries of shoeboxes and bags of strips and scraps of 1800's reproduction fabrics.  Another wonky log cabin block (or Duckworth block) marathon was in order. I planned on a 7 by 9 set (63 blocks) or maybe an 8 by 8 set (64).  64 blocks it is.

What I had:

  





And I rooted through the trash for the 1 inch fabric strips I had thrown away.  I used 4 patches for a center for these blocks.  Starting with the narrowest strips, I started adding around the 4 patch center, using colored fabric, not white fabric.  Here we are coming up on blocks about 6 inches square in size.


One more log to add.  I admit I cut a few strips of yellow fabric to add to the mix, to brighten things up.


Some 2 inch green strips to add.

I have run out of strips of colored fabric so I am saying all blocks are done. I am squaring them up to 6 inches.  Some blocks were larger than this, but others just made 6 inches in one direction.  I wish I had enough fabric strips to add more rounds but I do not.

All colors are present in these blocks so I do not want to set them together - too much of a mishmash.  I need sashing such as in my previous Duckworth block project.  It's time to order more fabric!  😊

3 shoeboxes and one plastic bag of scraps is down to 2 stuffed shoeboxes.

Linking up with Monday Musings, Sew and Tell at Melva Loves Scraps, Design Wall Monday, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Nina-Marie, Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, From Bolt to Beauty, I Quilted This! at Quilting and Learning, Frederique at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

2 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

I love these blocks. I wonder if it's cuz they look like fabric shades from dayz gone by, not the bright, rowdy colors. lol

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Wow you sure used up some fabric fast. Congrats! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/09/09/wednesday-wait-loss-501

Related Posts with Thumbnails