Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Spring Sewing

 Good Day and welcome to my blog.  When I am off contract I can get a lot of sewing done - and I have. 

I dug into my stash and new acquisitions of 1930's reproduction fabrics, and I have been making many flying geese units.  I have assembled them into Dutchman's Puzzle blocks and finally this past week I sashed and bordered them, to make a large-ish top about 78 by 88 inches.  Here it is laid out on my floor in my sewing space.

Well, hard to see what's going on so here is a view of a corner:


Each block is 8 inches square, with 2 inch (finished) sashing, and a 4 inch border of a pretty green print.


A closer view.  If you use stash and scraps for both 'geese' and 'sky' you can use up quite a bit of scrap fabric.  

This is a pretty big top, for me, and so I think I will send it out to a local long arm quilter, rather than wrestling with it on my trusty old Kenmore.

Linking up with Midweek Makers (she featured my quilt top!  Thank you!), Wednesday Wait Loss, (my two quilt tops were featured here too! Wow!) Needle and Thread Thursday, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks like you make a lot of scrappy quilts like I do - it is nice to use those scraps up

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Gorgeous way to use up your scraps. This is lovely! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

so many flying geese! it's beautiful and you are an inspiration!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love all the scrappy Dutchman's Puzzle blocks for a great design.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Excellent use of scrap fabrics resulting in a charming quilt.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely scrappy blocks, and just the right set for them!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those scrappy geese are beautiful! Love the way this top came together!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That turned out amazing!! Love the scrappiness of both geese and sky!!!

Laurie said...

I love what you did with your 1930's prints. I've not thought of doing Dutchman's puzzle with scraps...but it's an excellent idea! I love making scrap quilts. Mostly I make Thrifty blocks from www.quilterscache.com and Arkansas Snowflakes. I've got quilts partially finished using both of those blocks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails