Wednesday, October 16, 2019

New start: Idaho Square Dance

I was in a funk, quilting wise, the past few days.  And what can get you out of a funk but a new project?
I borrowed Bonnie Hunter's book, Addicted to Scraps, from the library.  Many of her quilts are too busy for my taste, but I did cut pieces for a block or two of Idaho Square Dance, just to see if I liked it.



It's a simple enough block but I like it!  It finishes at 7 inches square.  Instead of setting it alternating with another pieced block I am considering sashing with cornerstones, or setting with alternating navy blue fabric squares.  I have now cut enough pieces for 10 more blocks and I am starting to sew the pieces together.  I have a wide variety of navy blue fabrics.  Amazing how puttering with fabric and sewing pieces together can make one feel better.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-Marie,  Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

5 comments:

Alison V. said...

This block looks great! You're right -- sometimes Bonnie's quilts are a little on the busy side and it can make a big difference if you simplify the color scheme!

Susan said...

Puttering with fabric can have some great results!

Yvonne said...

Having made a an entire oversized queen sized quilt with those idaho square dance blocks and no other blocks (though I altered then to be based on 2" squares) I must warn you those darn things are addictive. I do like your idea of alternating them with plain squares and wish now I had thought of that. I did mine in blues as well. Blues just suit that block I think.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like that block! I think it looks great!

For the love of geese said...

Your block looks great and will turn into a wonderful quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails