Thursday, September 7, 2023

A Project is moving forward...

 Hello and welcome to my blog!

I am busy in my day job so it's been harder to get into my sewing nook in the basement.  But I do have some progress to report.

I have been making snowball or octagon blocks in reproduction fabrics - specifically early 1800's reproductions, with their big bold designs.  The start of the project is described in this post.  An infusion of new fabric (of course!) and continuation of the project is in this post.

I almost have a completed top - just three long seams to sew.  Here is what it looks like now:


It's laid out on the floor.  Each block finishes at 8 inches, and the top is now 72 by 72 inches square.  A close up:


Showing the large scale patterns of the fabrics.  And quilts of the 1820 - 1840 era would finish with a bold border:


A classic pillar print on the left. This kind of print is getting very hard to find, and I am glad I have 3 yards of this.  This may be 9 or 10 inches added on to the quilt top - I haven't cut the borders yet.  It will be a big square quilt and I do plan on sending it out to a local long-armer for the quilting.  I don't have binding for this project picked out yet - must think on this.  I hope to have time this coming weekend to finish this off.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle and Thread Thursday, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

9 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love this! I'm particularly interested in these "older" fabrics at present as I've joined in with a repro stitchalong.

viridian said...

Thank you Linda!

Susan said...

It's coming along well!

Helenchaffin said...

I luv that block & the prints are absolutely beautiful!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely fabrics, great setting! And the pillar print is to die for. Your quilt reminds me of the ones in Quiltmania magazine, reproductions lovingly made.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those fabrics look spectacular in that block! I've missed you and was glad to read about you and your progress!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So close! I can tell this project is near and dear to your heart. I hope you finish it soon and realize your dream. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/09/06/wednesday-wait-loss-344

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its looking great!! what a cool way to features all those wonderful prints!

Marsha Cooper said...

At first I thought they were on their own, not in a block like what you do with yo-yo's.

Related Posts with Thumbnails