Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Back with a finish: Feedsack trees

 Good Day and welcome to my blog!

I have been working flat out at my day job, no real time to sew until recently.  Oh, I sewed a few cut pieces together as stress relief, but no time to finish anything major.  And there wasn't much to do, so no excuses!

I had a quilt back from the local long-armer who did a lovely pattern of hearts and leaves, using thin cotton batting.  All I had to do was trim it square, prepare binding, and attach said binding.  This I did last weekend.

It is a pattern adapted from Winter Solstice - the tree part of that pattern.  I did the trees in various real feedsack fabrics, acquired from ebay or antique fairs.  It ended up an odd size, about 61 ? (I think) by 75 inches or so.


Laid out on the brown carpeted floor - sorry about the keystoning.  And a closer look:


I attached the binding to the back by machine, folded it over to the front, and top stitched it down.  It's faster this way.

I am happy with how this turned out, and how the feedsack fabrics are featured.

Other sewing?  Some flying geese blocks, assembled into Dutchman's Puzzle blocks:


These are done in reproduction 1930's and 1940's fabrics.

Linking up with Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle and Thread Thursday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

13 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on your beautiful quilt finish! Enjoy your Dutchman's Puzzle project. It's going to be SEW lovely in those repro fabrics!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love your Feedsack Trees! What a treasure to have all those old feedsacks. Makes this precious indeed. Your Dutchman's Puzzle blocks are gorgeous in repros. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Joan H. said...

Love your feedsack forest. Congratulations on a finish! You attatch your bindings the same way I do. So much quicker and easier. I've always liked the Dutchman's Puzzle block but not so fond of making flying geese. Way to go, girl.

Star Gambling said...

Thanks for your posts. You have a very interesting and helpful blog. Thanks!

Ramona said...

Your Feedsack tree quilt is beautiful! Great finish.

Kat said...

I like the trees quilts. I've not seen trees made in 30's fabrics. I like the Dutchman's Puzzle block. I've made.it once or twice for block swaps.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a fabulous way to feature and honor your feedback collection. Lovely.

karenbbsnow said...

The Feedsack Tree quilt is so pretty.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Very nice job on the trees, good that you could take them from another pattern and make your own. I like the Dutchman's Puzzle Block.

chrisknits said...

What a lovely forest!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That is a treasure of a forest. . .it puts a new kind of spin on the term old growth! Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wonderful use of those old fabrics. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great quilt!!! LOVE those trees and they are so pretty all together like that!! GLad you job gave you a break... its hard to want to finish things, but have real life get in the way haha!! Take care!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails