Thursday, September 12, 2019

New blocks Update

Hello and welcome!
Since working on the Log Cabin - Courthouse steps quilt top in the last post, I have been busy with yet another new project.  I saw this in Barbara Brackman's book on the Kansas City Star quilt blocks, and wanted to try this in 30's reproduction fabrics.  One block below:


You can see I had a few problems. The four quadrants don't line up exactly, though my triangle points meet nicely in the middle.   These older patterns involve templates, and tracing around the templates onto your fabric.  I haven't done this for awhile!  I am used to strip piecing, or sewing bits together and cross cutting them.

An idea to just make 12 12 inch blocks expanded a bit:


Here is what I have so far, laid out 4 blocks across by 6 blocks down.  One more block to go, then trimming.  Note the secondary pattern that forms.  I hope these green pieces line up after trimming.

After trimming, sew these blocks together and think about borders.

Linking up with Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Put your foot down at For the love of geese, Can I get a Whoop Whoop, Nina-MarieFinished or Not at Alycia Quilts, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

6 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! I love the secondary pattern formed by the green strip. I've seen the basic design and wanted to make it, but your modified design is moving up on my list. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Kim said...

I always love a quilt that dances with 30's reproduction fabrics. Yours is going to be beautiful. Love the secondary pattern in each corner...it looks fabulous.

Chantal said...

We call this block Crazy Ann and I want to make one someday ... until my MIL said "It's a very hard pattern to do". Darn! Love yours with the 30s prints. It's awesome so far! Hope all goes well after the trimming. ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like that block - it is very unique to me! and the secondary pattern just sorta frames the 30's prints - too cool!

For the love of geese said...

I love the secondary pattern this creates. I may have to add this block to my bucket list. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Rebecca Grace said...

Your blocks look fabulous! Don’t be too hard on yourself about perfect seam matches. When I see vintage/antique quilts in these old block patterns, their seams weren’t 100% perfect matches all the time, either. I think that’s part of the fun/challenge with this type of block, trying to get each one a little better than the last one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails