Good day, and welcome to my blog. It's a dark morning full of clouds and thunder.
But it's a day to blog about my progress on a 2024 UFO.
In October 2024 I started making potato chip blocks - you can't make just one! You can find instructions on the web or look at my tutorial HERE. Fabric pieces are 2.5 inches by 4.5 inches.
I also included my progress in that blog post.
Once a top, I folded it up and it languished until I felt I needed to finish a UFO, rather than start a new project. That time is this week.
I prepared a "Frankenback": sewing together several long cut offs of backing fabric from previous projects. All the same beige fabric. I did the same with long batting scraps: making a "Frankenbatt". It's almost like getting free backing and batting (but I did pay for it).
I quilted it on my trusty old Kenmore, feed dogs up:
I quilted just simple straight lines in the ditch.
Quilted, not trimmed:
And a close-up:
Lots of older fabrics here, some more than 30 years old. The overall quilt is busy, and if I do this pattern again, I would use sashing in between blocks. I have also seen versions with the center two pieces a bright color, then the first round of pieces is all pale neutrals, then bright fabrics for the last round.
Next: trim and bind. I have the binding prepared and saved.
Linking up with Monday Musings, Sew and Tell at Melva Loves Scraps, Design Wall Monday, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Nina-Marie, Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, From Bolt to Beauty, I Quilted This! at Quilting and Learning, Frederique at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.
I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl
Viridian



"Just" scrappy piecing and "just" straight line quilting = a delightful quilt. There are many so many arrangements and colorways to consider.
ReplyDeleteIt's like a trip back in time! So enjoyable to see the fabrics you've used over the years. Great job. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/08/12/wednesday-wait-loss-497
a super scrappy happy quilt!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun and happy finish! The yellow bits make the whole project glow! Your straight line quilting looks great! Kudos for the finish! I too piece backs and batting for the "free" aspect!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how beautifully all those different fabrics play with each other. Great job!
ReplyDeleteGreat potato chip quilt, Viridian. Someone will love it.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad it was allowed to get back out in the sun! its a great quilt and so happy with all the bright colors!! perfect finish!
ReplyDeleteFun to see all the different fabrics/prints! Great finish!!!
ReplyDeleteHourray for finishing this UFO! I love the bold colors and how the blocks are blending. Pretty layout. Thank you for sharing and linking up!
ReplyDeleteDelightful scrappy quilt, I loved checking out all the fabrics. And straight-line quilting for the win!
ReplyDeletePotato chip quilts are one of my favorite quilt patterns. What a happy, scrappy one you have made!
ReplyDeleteOne can never go wrong with a scrappy quilt! Congrats on the progress! Thanks for sharing in Sew & Tell.
ReplyDeleteCongrats for getting a big top quilted. I probably should see about making a frankenback too. I frequently sew batting pieces together but generally not enough to call it a frankenbat. Love those terms at it really describes what the resulting piece if. And, yep, seems free to me too!
ReplyDeleteSo very colorful. I love scrappy
ReplyDeleteHi Viridian, congrats on finishing your UFO potato chip block quilt. I've just started my first one. I made four blocks this week. I'm sure it'll take a while to make but it is fun :-) Thanks for linking up to I Quilted This! Have a great week.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun, scrappy quilt, Viridian! Great job on getting it quilted. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings.
ReplyDelete