Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Interim project: Flying geese units

 Good day, and welcome to my blog.

When I am done with a project and don't have a new one in line, I piece units such as Broken Dishes or Flying Geese.  This week it's been flying geese units, in 1800's reproduction fabrics.

I use the no waste 4 at a time method shown in this PDF.  I know this is not for everyone but if I keep a scant seam allowance, my geese units turn out just fine.

Cut squares:


Piles of finished geese that will finish at 2 by 4 inches:


What blocks to put together?  Perhaps Dutchman's Puzzle, finishing at 8 inches square:




Or Starlight Geese, finishing at 10 inches square:


Hmm, we'll see.  In the meantime, I am sewing 1/4 to the side of drawn pencil lines, cutting units apart, and pressing the units.  I will continue until I have enough for a single bed quilt.  Oh, and I purchased more fabric for sashing and binding for the eventual quilt.  😉

Linking up with Monday Musings, Sew and Tell at Melva Loves Scraps, Design Wall Monday, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put your Foot Down at the Quiltery, Nina-Marie, Finished or Not at Alycia Quilts, From Bolt to Beauty, I Quilted This! at Quilting and Learning (she featured my potato chip quilt - thank you!), Frederique at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique, Oh Scrap at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

10 comments:

  1. Very nice! I am looking forward to your eventual quilt pattern decision, even if it takes a couple of years to materialise. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! That is going to be several flocks of geese made for the eventual quilt! I like both orientations for the blocks--it would be a hard choice. . .but, either way. . .it will be the best choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flying geese are on my to what seems to be 100's on my to do list lol I don't think you can go wrong with flying geese no matter which way they're flying😄

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the four at a time flying geese method and yours are gorgeous in the reproduction fabrics. I personally like the starlight geese the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Viridian, that's going to be a great quilt - flying geese are so versatile and they look great in those prints. Thanks for linking up to I Quilted This! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabrics in your flying geese. I made a whole quilt with flying geese and never encountered that method.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Years, make that decades ago, I put together a file folder titled "Triangles Can be Tricky". I'm pretty sure the .pdf you shared is one of the ones I have referred to off and on over the years. What a great idea to piece Flying Geese units as a transitional project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The two layouts look both wonderful, your flying geese are very pretty. I love the 4 at a time method too! Thank you for sharing your "interim" project and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite method for flying geese. Great way to use up those scraps! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/08/19/wednesday-wait-loss-498

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, Viridian! I look forward to seeing this come together. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete